How Mold Grows
There are many mold scares in the United States because it can be a huge health issue, mold can destroy a house, and be very hard to get rid of. Mold can be an epidemic for some homeowners because their home is food for mold! The way mold spreads is through spores in the air, which does not always mean it will lead to a mold epidemic in your home. Mold can not grow on dry surfaces. The only way it can spread is with wet surfaces. A simple solution is to keep your home dry, and you won't have a mold problem. Although, it is not always that easy!
Tips to keep your home dry and the humidity low to avoid getting mold:
- Before taking a bath, shower, or cooking a meal on the stove, turn on your exhaust fan. This will suck up any moisture getting into the air.
- After taking a bath or shower, leave your shower curtain open to air out the tub.
- Make sure to dry any wet areas immediately!
- Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate!
- Open some windows if it starts getting humid and burps your house.
- Monitor your humidity levels indoors.
- Equip your home with mold-resistant products.
- Clean and repair roof gutters and try to direct all water away from your home.